Serving Our Community: WCUMC Food Cupboard
This ongoing ministry began in 2003 with the objective of distributing food to families and individuals in the community with limited incomes and difficulties in getting out to go shopping.
The Food Cupboard makes deliveries once a month (typically the third Saturday) and deliveries are made each month of the year.
The ministry is fortunate to be affiliated with Philabundance, which works to end hunger and malnutrition in the Delaware Valley. Even with the support of Philabundance, and special grants, the need for food donations is ongoing throughout the year.
How Can You Help?
Volunteer: Share your time. No special experience is needed and new volunteers will find this ministry very meaningful. This is a rewarding opportunity to meet new church friends while helping our neighbors with one or more of the following activities.
- Pack bags of groceries – One evening per month (typically the third Wednesday of the month at 7PM).
- Deliver the groceries – Deliveries are made on Saturday morning beginning at 8:30AM. Volunteers meet in the parking lot at the back of the church to load up the cars.
- Become a Food Friend – Adopt a family and provide some food items for them each month.
Food Donations: The demand for our Food Cupboard continues to grow and the supplies are depleted occasionally. Please consider making donations of non-perishable food items, such as:
- Canned vegetables (low salt)
- Canned yams or potatoes
- Canned fruit (low sugar)
- Canned meats
- Pasta or rice
- Spaghetti sauce (quart jars)
- Boxed potatoes (scalloped, au gratin)
- Soups (low salt)
- Snacks, cookies
- Tea and coffee (instant, caf./decaf.)
- Juice (100% juice)
- Cereals (hot and cold varieties)
- Peanut butter (pint size jars)
(You can leave your donation at the Food Cupboard table in the Gathering Area.)
For more information, contact Barbara Hyde at 610-283-1032 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.